The problem was that John and Sherry's porch columns were colonial-style (curvy and scrolly) and they did not match the columns on their car port.
Then add to that a scalloped header - definitely not a match for either John or Sherry's tastes.
John and Sherry of Young House Love are passionate about home improvement and generous with sharing their tips.
They took on this porch project to inject more of their own personality (clean, straight lines) into the front of their Richmond VA home.
Not wanting to purchase new columns I came up with a plan. If you move forward with it and have any questions feel free to ask! After getting this far within one afternoon we had high expectations for how quickly the finishing touches would go.I mean, how long could finishing one column, caulking the seams, and painting take? But we didn’t want to be anything less than thorough, since getting rain or other moisture behind the wood = bad news bears.Well, it didn’t help that we got derailed before even unholstering our caulk gun. We used this exact same method in our first house when we rebuilt the header five years ago (primed wood paint and caulk to keep it all sealed) and it worked out great without any rotting or warping – so we wanted to make sure we were just as thorough this time around.When all three columns were done we stepped back and thought the de-scalloped header looked good, but a bit unsubstantial in comparison to our beefed up columns. And since everyone asks what kind of caulk we use (that wall full of 10,000 caulk tubes can be intimidating) we like Dap window and door caulk, in the white, paintable finish (paintable is key). Since the boards came pre-primed, all we had to do was match them to rest of the porch – and because the previous owners left us a couple gallons of house paint, there was happily no cost here.